Date:      Mon, 31 May 1999 21:53:28 -0400
From:      "Joe Gleason" <clash@tasam.com>
To:        "Unknow User" <kernel@tdnet.com.br>, <security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Shell Account system

Use find to locate all suid programs on the system.  Remove suid from
any you don't think you need.  Read man pages if unsure.  If still
unsure, remove suid anyways.

Edit /etc/inetd.conf
Disable everything you don't know you need.  (As above with suids)

Go through rc.conf.  Disable things you don't need.

If you have a program or service you are installing, try to see if you
can get it to run as non-root.

I usally like this aproach of removing things that you don't need to
minimize security risk.

Joe Gleason
Tasam