Date:      Tue, 2 Mar 1999 19:03:23 -0600 (CST)
From:      "William W. Crook" <talos@ns4.tecinfo.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: modem on com 4

> >On Tuesday,  2 March 1999 at  2:56:05 -0800, Billy Graey wrote:
> >> I'm running freebsd 2.2.6.  I fried my external modem due to shear
> >> stupidity.  right now I've got an internal 56k in there on com 4 (at
> >> least the dude I was talkign to (who works with these modems) said I
> >> had set it for com4).  I removed the 'disabled' part of the sio3 line
> >> in my kernel as per someone's instructions on #freebsd on undernet.
> >> I am now, and was before, getting Failed to open /dev/cuaa3, pause 5
> >> seconds  when I try to 'term' in ppp (this is user ppp, not kernel).
> >> What should/could I do to get this to work.  No, I'm not 100% sure
> >> that the modem work, but I can't get past freebsd acknowledging that
> >> come4 exists to check that part.
> >
> >What does your dmesg output look like?

The lines in dmesg  relating to sio ports:

sio0 at 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 on isa
sio0: type 16550A
sio3 not found at 0x2e8

The lines in my kernel relating to sio ports:

device   sio0 at isa? port "IO_COM1" tty irq 4 vector siointr
device   sio1 at isa? disable port "IO_COM2" tty irq 3 vector siointr
device   sio2 at isa? disable port "IO_COM3" tty irq 5 vector siointr
device   sio3 at isa? port "IO_COM4" tty irq 3 vector siointr

- Graey