Date:      Wed, 7 Jan 1998 08:52:37 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Kwoody <kwoody@citytel.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Sendmail...

On Mon, Jan 05, 1998 at 11:40:40PM -0800, Kwoody wrote:

> Thanks for the replies to the mailing log to myself...but now antoher
> quesiont off that:
>
> a simple mail kwoody < log causes ppp to dial out.
>
> I am using my ISP as my relay etc...how do I prevent ppp from dialing out
> with a simple command like the above?

Good question.  First, you need to know why it's dialling out.  Then
you can block that particular message from causing a dialout.

At a guess, mail is performing a DNS lookup.  You can find out for
sure with tcpdump.  One alternative would then be to change your DNS
configuration.  But first, let's see what the cause is.

Greg