Date:      Sat, 02 Apr 2005 21:23:42 -0800
From:      Sam Leffler <sam@errno.com>
To:        Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@britannica.bec.de>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: which Wifi cards can be used for a WAP?

Sam Leffler wrote:
> Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Apr 02, 2005 at 12:16:35PM -0500, Brian Reichert wrote:
>>
>>> In perusing many of these cards specs, I see many of them offer a
>>> 'turbo mode' of 108 Mbps.
>>

>> That's a vendor-specific mode. I strongly advice you _against_ using it,
>> it's using at least one additional channel and only adds speed for very
>> short distances. If you follow the common recommendation of leaving one
>> channel before and after the active channel, you end up using at least
>> 5 channels for turbo mode compared to three for normal, it's not worth
>> the trouble.
>

> This is misleading.  First turbo mode can only be used in the 2.4G band
> on channel 6 and does not impact operation on channels 1 and 11.  Any
> channels in between already suffer from normal (i.e. non-turbo) use
> because the channel spread in the 2.4 band means traffic is visible if
> you use the in-between channels.  Further, turbo mode (as part of
> SuperG) requires that the AP detect non-turbo capable stations and
> disable turbo use when such stations are present.

I was wrong; turbo mode requires a 40Mhz wide band so when operating on
channel 6 it'll splatter 1 and 11.  Regardless, compliant AP's are
supposed to monitor the air and drop out of turbo if non-turbo traffic
is detected.  This is part of the Dynamic Turbo component of SuperG and
happens transparently to SuperG stations.

	Sam