Date:      Thu, 06 Feb 1997 11:10:41 -0800 (PST)
From:      Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-Connect.Net>
To:        Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Some SCSI Questions...

Hi Peter Dufault;  On 05-Feb-97 you wrote:

> >     a.  What is the /dev entry?
>
> The .ctl entry, e.g.,  /dev/rcd0a.ctl

Ah!  Almost Plan9 :-)

> >     b.  What options in config do I need to turn on?
> None.

Good!  No mistakes possible here :-)

> >     c.  (At least) header file pathname to API
>
> sys/scsiio.h and scsi.h for the library.  Try "man 3 scsi" and "man 8
scsi".

Aha!  This is where they went.  Thanx.

> Also, I'm sending a new test release under separate mail for your input.
>
> I don't know how well developed the reset code is.  I'd expect
> that an xs will target a given bus.  The "scsiop" escapes were
> in there to support, e.g., resetting a specific device versus
> the bus.  See the aha code. Probably Justin has to explain it from here.

A device is not my problem.  The code i have seen appears to synonym an HBA
with its bus, and reset both.  Even the Adaptec 39xx are really a single
bus device, so resetting one resets the other.

I am dealing with an HBA that has three distinct busses on the same
controller.  When and if a reset is necessary, I need a way to know what to
reset:  The HBA itself or its SCSI busses (which one?).  These are not the
same.

consider an HBA with 3 SCSI wide busses, each having only 15 devices.
Now, a SCSI_RESET command comes from above (why?).  Say why = bus timeout
(the easiest case).  Do I reset the HBA, taking down 30 disk drives that
have no problem, along with several hundreds of queued commands?

Just trying to detangle the queued, tagged, in-driver queued, etc. commands
will make you grey in the head quickly.

Now, add to this a multi-initiator, where each SCSI bus has at least TWO
HBA's on it.  each running from a separate host, maybe not FreeBSD on the
other side.  Maybe NT.  We don't know.

This is why I am trying to understand the reset policy.  The question of
differentiating driver/HBA/bus/device reset is just an opener, to get me
somewhat familiar with the surroundings.  Once we solve this problem, we
will have a very interesting set of I/O capabilities.

Thanx for all your patience...

Simon