Date:      Wed, 24 Nov 1999 01:20:44 +0000
From:      PauloZenari <zenari@provide.psi.br>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Comparison with other POSIX operating systems

Hi! :)

I've heard lot's of good things about FreeBSD from a newbie, a colleguae

from UERJ, my university. He said that FreeBSD is made to control server

machines. He also said that it's much, much, MUCH, MUCH better than
the other POSIX systems, such as Linux. When he said me that thing,
I became really scarred...!! "Wow!!! Linux is very good... and this guy
is
saying to me that FreeBSD is much better... it should be perfect!"

Well, I'm an addicted Linux user, but I became really interested in
FreeBSD.
I want to know the main diferences between both systems. Is there
anything
that I can't do with Linux that I can do with FreeBSD? Wich one is
"older"
or "more mature"? And what about software to run under FreeBSD? I've
heard
that FreeBSD can run Linux programs without recompiling... If I have an
already
set up Linux box, can I simply change the kernel and stay with my old
programs?
Is FreeBSD better than Linux when working as an Internet server, or as
an
ordinary SAMBA or NFS/PC-NFS server on a local network? And what
about hardware support? Witch one supports *now* most of the latest
hardware?

hehehe... sorry about the rain of questions...
and sorry about my poor english! :)

Thanx for your atention...

PauloZenari - Rio de Janeiro / Brazil