Date:      Fri, 12 Jun 1998 15:54:54 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Donald Burr <dburr@POBoxes.com>
Cc:        Frank Mayhar <frank@exit.com>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, bjc23@hermes.cam.ac.uk
Subject:   Re: Auto power-off?

> My secret spy satellite informs me that on 12-Jun-98, Mike Smith wrote:
> >> apm0 on isa
> >> apm: found APM BIOS version 14.0
> >
> > Yecch, that's Bad.  Can you build a kernel with APM_DEBUG defined, and
> > send the relevant output?  I think we are not talking to the BIOS
> > correctly there.
>
> OK, I went ahead and did this under 2.2.6-STABLE (again, checked out &
> built circa 980604).  For completeness' sake, I am also attaching a copy
> of my kernel config file for said machine, just in case I'm doing
> something screwy in there.  (needless to say, it is still not shutting
> down as it should be.)
>
> Thanks, btw, for your help regarding this!

Well, I am hoping that I can be helpful, but it's lookin' durn ugly so
far.

> options	APM_IDLE_CPU	# Tell APM to idle rather than halt'ing the cpu
> device		apm0	at isa?

HALT is often better (lower power consumption) than IDLE - this is only
done when the system has nothing to do for the quantum...

> apm0 on isa
> apm: APM BIOS version 0101

The connect function finds an APM 1.1 BIOS...

> apm: Code32 0xf00f0000, Code16 0xf00f0000, Data 0xf00f0000
> apm: Code entry 0x0000e8e9, Idling CPU disabled, Management enabled
> apm: CS_limit=0xffff, DS_limit=0xffff

... with reasonable expectation of being able to make the 32-bit
connect.

> apm: Engaged control enabled
> apm: found APM BIOS version 14.0

But when it does, and queries the version again, it gets a stupid
response.

Try 'flags 0x11' to force the use of the APM 1.1 protocol; with the
bogus version 14 response it will be using 1.2 instead...