Date:      Wed, 12 Aug 1998 20:24:45 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        FreeBSD-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   disk errors

I've formatted my new 4G IBM scsi disk, and I'm trying to copy the
contents of an existing 2G disk onto it before moving the 2G disk out of
the machine.  During the copy, I got error messages that stopped the
copy, and my /var/log shows:

Aug 12 20:14:31 picnic /kernel: sd2: MEDIUM ERROR info:0x81007f asc:11,0
Unrecovered read error sks:80,33

Lot's of those errors, as the disk was retried lots of times.  I tried
redoing the copy, and the same error shows up.  This is a new disk, and
I've only disklabeled and newfs'ed it; is there any procedure I should
have followed to detect and spare out any bad sectors?  The controller's
a NCR 875, and not yet running CAM.

Thanks.

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 and picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (NetBSD).