Date:      Wed, 01 Dec 2004 22:20:06 +0100
From:      Olivier Gautherot <olivier@gautherot.net>
To:        Jermaine McBean <jmcbean@pace.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing GNU Make

Hi folks!

Jermaine McBean wrote:

> I typed rehash and it doesn't do anything. I did a make --version and
> it doesn't show me a version.
> I found the port and installed it. It works now. I just don't
> understand that make install doesn't work
> Wouter van Rooij wrote:
>
>>> I'm trying to install GNU Make 3.8 on FreeBSD 4.10. Everything install
>>> fine, but I still get the FreeBSD version of make. I don't know
>>> where it
>>> installed to. I do:
>>> ./configure
>>> make
>>> make install
>>> make clean
>>>

>> Stupid question: have you tried rehash?
>> Otherwise go to ftp.freebsd.org en get the tbz ( package of gnu make )
>> and run pkg_add file
>> Then it must work... if it don't try rehash
>>
>> Wouter van Rooij

If you run FreeBSD, you should expect the BSD version of make as a standard.
GNU make is called gmake and you should find it at /usr/local/bin/gmake.
Here is the result of {,g}make --version on my machine:

    bash-2.05b$ make --version
    make: illegal option -- -
    usage: make [-BPSXeiknqrstv] [-C directory] [-D variable] [-d flags]
                [-E variable] [-f makefile] [-I directory] [-j max_jobs]
                [-m directory] [-V variable] [variable=value] [target ...]
    bash-2.05b$ gmake --version
    GNU Make 3.80
    PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
    bash-2.05b$