Date:      Sat, 17 Aug 2002 17:06:06 -0400 (EDT)
From:      up@3.am
To:        FreeBSD ISP List <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   HostnameLookups directive not working in vhosts

I recently moved a lot of virtual hosts from an old FBSD server running
apache 1.3.12 to a new one running 1.3.26.

The server has HostNameLookups set to On in the main httpd.conf.  In the
virtual hosts conf file (implemented using include/conf), I have a couple
of hosts with the the same directive turned Off.  However, the custom logs
for these servers still show lookups unless I turn it off in the main
config.

I'm pretty sure this was working fine on the old box, which had a
virtually identical config.  The apache docs
(http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/core.html#hostnamelookups) note that
this can be done in a virtual host config.  The vhost config looks like:

<VirtualHost 111.111.111.111>
ServerAdmin webmaster@domain.com
User joeuser
Group vhosts
DocumentRoot /home/servers/domain.com/pages
ServerName domain.com
ServerAlias www.domain.com
HostnameLookups off
CustomLog /home/servers/domain.com/access_log combined
ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "/home/servers/domain.com/cgi-bin/"
</VirtualHost>

From the main config:

<Directory "/*/servers/">
    AllowOverride all
    Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews ExecCGI IncludesNOEXEC
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>

Ideas?