Date:      Sat, 26 May 2001 23:30:04 +0200
From:      Maxime Henrion <mux@qualys.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Help to port brltty to BSD

	Hello all,

I have been discussing on IRC with a blind people who can't use BSD
because ``brltty'', the software used to render the console tty with
braille displays, doesn't appear to work on BSD.  I have been
experiencing troubles while trying to compile it and moreover, it uses
``/dev/vcsa0'' to get snapshots of the tty.  This is a Linux-only device.

However, to run on other Unices (as the author say), it can use the sysV
shared memory to obtain this information by reading into ``screen''
program memory segment.  Unfortunately, this is obviously not as good as
with using tty snapshots as the user has to launch ``screen'' first
before having access to his box, and unless we one day use screen in
the install (which I doubt ;) the user will have to get help from a
valid person to install BSD.

I have seen that recently, a snapshot capability has been introduced in
syscons in -CURRENT.  Can this help to port this software ?  I've
thought of using snoop ttys but I'm not sure if they provide all the
needed functionality.

Finally, I'm running out of time these days and if someone has a bit
more time free, I would really appreciate help with porting this
software as it seems to me that giving access to BSD for blind people
is more important than most, if not all, other features.

Here is the homepage of brltty :
	http://www.cam.org/~nico/brltty/

Thanks,
Maxime

PS: If anyone has heard of any other program similar working on BSD,
don't hesitate to flame me ;-) !
--
Don't be fooled by cheap finnish imitations ; BSD is the One True Code
Key fingerprint = F9B6 1D5A 4963 331C 88FC  CA6A AB50 1EF2 8CBE 99D6