Date:      Mon, 29 Oct 2012 13:50:01 GMT
From:      Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
To:        freebsd-ipfw@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/165939: [ipw] bug: incomplete firewall rules loaded if tables are used in ipfw.conf

The following reply was made to PR kern/165939; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
To: bug-followup@FreeBSD.org, hsn@sendmail.cz
Subject: Re: kern/165939: [ipw] bug: incomplete firewall rules loaded if tables
 are used in ipfw.conf
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2012 00:17:39 +1100

 This is not a bug but a feature, at least for those of us managing some
 or all ipfw tables independently of the ruleset. In such cases flushing
 tables would be a bug, requiring addition of all entries in tables used
 to be included in the ruleset before using service ipfw restart. This
 would be unwieldy at best, esp. for tables updated dynamically by hand
 and/or by other scripts monitoring logs and such (I use both).

 I think ipfw(8) is clear enough that ipfw flush just flushes rules, not
 tables, nat or dummynet configs, but emphasising that may be helpful?

 For those using tables only defined in their ruleset, adding 'ipfw table
 all flush' (or better, flushing particular tables used by the ruleset)
 before the first 'ipfw table add ..' command is certainly necessary.

 cheers, Ian