Date:      Sat, 07 Oct 2000 16:51:51 +0100
From:      David Pick <D.M.Pick@qmw.ac.uk>
To:        Craig Cowen <craig@allmaui.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Check Point FW-1

> They are going to put it on an NT machine.
> They don't trust ipfilter or anything else that is not commercial.
> Maybe I could get some suits to guarentee it with a corporate label.

You can certainly get a support contract for FreeBSD - speak to BSDi.
I don't know if ipfilter would need to be specifically included or
if it is covered as a part of FreeBSD.

I'd also point out that in many cases the *real* situation is not that
thet don't trust anything that's not commercial; they don't trust
alything *at all* and are really concerned that there is some external
company that can point the finger of blame at and/or sue when/if
anything untoward *does* happen. The other, less common, situtation
I've seen is that the bosses don't want their local "expert" to be
a real expert on whom they depend; they're frightened you'll be able
to override them with *their* bosses and/or that you'll demand more
money and make their budget(s) look bad; or even earn more money than
they do...

(Slightly) changing the subject: I've been looking at ipfilter
myself recently although I wouldn't claim to be an expert, and I'd
make the following comments on the rules you posted recently:
 1) If the three rules you commented as "to keep the guys at work
    out explicitly" are intended to keep a separate set of counts,
    &c, from the next three rules that block *any* source; then I
    *think* you need to reverse the two blocks of three because
    you havn't used the "quick" keyword, and without that the rule
    that gains the credit is the *last* rule that matches.
 2) There's very little point in using "keep state" for *tcp*
    unless you're doing so on the first call-setup packet. A
    "keep state" that gets triggered on a subsequent packet will
    cause a state table entry with incomplete status information
    and this will time out rather more quickly, causing calls to
    jam for no good reason.

--
	David Pick