Date:      Mon, 14 Jan 2002 21:45:52 +0100
From:      Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>
To:        "Richard E. Hawkins" <dochawk@psu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: init 1 triggers hardware fault

On Mon, Jan 14, 2002 at 03:14:03PM -0500, Richard E. Hawkins stood up and spoke:

> I have been having hardware freezes since ibm swapped the motherboard
> on my A21p.  These freezes happen both under freebsd and win98.

The folloeing may or may not help, but you should probably consider running
memtest86, which is available for free at http://www.memtest86.com

First and foremost, this software tests your memory. It is indeed possible
that the memory is your problem, but even if not, memtest86 might still be
helpful. I have seen it crash some other unstable machines even though the
RAM was fine. Also, I've seen that memtest86, especially when letting it
run its advanced tests for a few hours, really makes the CPU temperature
rise, so if you do indeed have a heat problem, this should trigger at (as a
comparison, my 1 Ghz Athlon seems to report around 30-35 degrees celsius
when idle, under compilation stress it seems to go up until 45 degress max,
but memtest86 has gotten it to go to even 50 degrees! Hardware that is not
properly cooled or has a heat problem should probably crash under
memtest86's load).

As far as finding out what's really wrong, I can tell you that memtest86
will tell you what parts of memory it had problems with during the test. It
cannot tell you about other components in the system, however. Still,
whenever a machine seems unstable, I first of all let memtest86 run on it
and see what happens.

Greetings
Nils

--
Nils Holland
Ti Systems - FreeBSD in Tiddische, Germany