Date:      Mon, 20 Jan 1997 10:59:05 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        BRETT_GLASS@infoworld.com
Cc:        jmb@freefall.freebsd.org, questions@freefall.freebsd.org, hardware@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [Q] aah-2940uw, disk need low level format

BRETT_GLASS@infoworld.com stands accused of saying:
> > Installed an aha-2940uw.  the machine hangs during boot immediately after
> > printing the disk information.
>
> I've heard about so many problems with the 2940UW that I'm hesitant to use
> it on a new FreeBSD system I'm building. Is there a different Ultra/Wide
> card that works flawlessly with FreeBSD 2.2?

Check out the Tekram DC390 cards; the high-end one is NCR-based and
works perfectly AFAIK.

Tekram also went to the effort of producing a BSD driver for the low-end
390 which is based on the AMD SCSI controller, which has subesequently
been incorporated into FreeBSD, so supporting them is the Right Thing 8)