Date:      Tue, 24 Jun 1997 22:32:52 -0600
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        Torbjorn Granlund <tege@pdc.kth.se>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New monster server

Hi,

> I'd be interessted in hearing your comments.  Realistically, will I be able
> to get a 4 CPU FreeBSD system to work well enough this fall?  If not, when
> do you think that could happen?
>
> I am willing to spend about $20000 for the hardware.  It is highly unlikely
> that Digital will want to sell me a dual CPU 21164 or a single CPU 21264 for
> that amount money.  Will a 4 CPU P6 be cheap enough and will it be stable
> enough to use for heavy load?

we expect to have made a fair amount of progress by late fall, but there
are no guarantees...  It is reasonably stable now.

check out the AMI goliath, a 4 P6 MB.  I have seen the bare boards + CPU boards
for around $4500:
http://www.megatrends.com/Motherboards/

This specific machine has not been tested under FreeBSD SMP yet that I know of,
but AMI usually makes quality hardware.
--
Steve Passe	| powered by