Date:      Thu, 03 Mar 2005 01:15:24 -0600
From:      "Jeremy Messenger" <mezz7@cox.net>
To:        "Tom McLaughlin" <tmclaugh@sdf.lonestar.org>
Cc:        freebsd-threads@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mono's XSP crashes on browser connection

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 02:05:04 -0500, Tom McLaughlin
<tmclaugh@sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 2005-03-03 at 07:18 +0800, David Xu wrote:
>> This is caused by a memory corrupted problem, there was some reports ,
>> but current I don't know what caused it, it is worth to disable GC code
>> in
>> mono and see if the problem still occurs ?
>>
>> David Xu
>>
>> Tom McLaughlin wrote:
>>
>> >Alright, people can ignore this Mono crash and just look at the mcs one
>> >in my other email.  Both XSP and mcs are experiencing the same bug it
>> >looks like and the mcs code is much simpler and easier to illustrate.
>> >Sorry for the noise.  I'm just trying to bang these out since I've been
>> >sitting on them so long.  Thanks.
>> >
>> >Tom
>> >

> Disabling garbage collection in Mono prevents the crash but after
> executing the external process the C# program does not continue on, it
> just sits there.  So that isn't a viable option for regular use.
>
> Worse, mono ships with Boehm 6.2.  I linked against 6.4 from ports
> (where threading support is not even enabled by default) and Mono is now
> failing to compile.  Mono's mcs compiler hangs at the same spot on
> -STABLE and -CURRENT.  Once Mono imports a later Boehm, FreeBSD is in
> for some serious problems.

I bet if you grab mono/files/patch-libgc_include_private_gcconfig.h and
merge in boehm port should solve the hang problem. It's untest, btw. In
case if you are wondering why it need this patch, you can check this link.

http://forge.novell.com/modules/xfmod/maillist/archbrowse.php/bsd-sharp-list/2005-February/000150.html?id=1498&prjname=bsd-sharp&mlname=list

Cheers,
Mezz

--