Date:      Wed, 6 Jun 2012 11:02:33 +0200
From:      Ewald Jenisch <a@jenisch.at>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   isc-dhcpd - logging client transactions

Hi,

I've set up isc-dhcpd (/usr/ports/net/isc-dhcp42-server). The daemon
runs, hands out IP-addresses however logging doesn't seem to work.

Here's what I've got in the respective config-files:

/etc/rc.conf:
# dhcpd
dhcpd_enable="YES"
dhcpd_conf="/usr/local/etc/dhcpd.conf"
dhcpd_ifaces="em0"
dhcpd_withumask="022"
dhcpd_chuser_enable="YES"
dhcpd_withuser="dhcpd"
dhcpd_withgroup="dhcpd"
dhcpd_chroot_enable="YES"
dhcpd_devfs_enable="YES"
dhcpd_rootdir="/var/db/dhcpd"

/usr/local/etc/dhcpd.conf:
log-facility local7;

/etc/syslog.conf:
local7.*                /var/log/dhcpd.log

/var/log/dhcpd.log is "touch"ed, so it exists.

Also restarted syslogd and isc-dhcpd.

Result: dhcpd works (i.e. I see entries in the leases-file
(/var/db/dhcpd/var/db/dhcpd/dhcpd.leases) however nothing is logged to
/var/log/dhcpd.log.

I can rule out any error with syslogd.conf since when I start isc-dhcp
"by hand" (/usr/local/sbin/dhcpd -d) I get an error message - and this
one is definitely logged to /var/log/dhcpd.log.

What I really need though is a log of all the DHCP-transactions,
i.e. DHCP-requests, address assignments etc.

Thanks much in advance for your help,
-ewald