Date:      Thu, 17 Mar 2005 10:14:05 -0300
From:      Fernan Aguero <fernan@iib.unsam.edu.ar>
To:        FreeBSD Ports <ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        gerald@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   problems fetching lang/gcc*: random?

Hi!

I'm having a weird problem trying to fetch lang/gcc* ports
using the ports system.

This does not happen with other ports (at least not with the
ones I tested, and with the latest gnome upgrade, I've been
fetching lots of them), so I don't believe
the cause to be my network connectivity or fetch(1). This is
the first reason for this weirdness.

This happens both doing 'make fetch' on the corresponding
port directory or using portupgrade -F.

The ports that I have installed and that I wanted to
update are lang/gcc32, lang/gcc33 and lang/gcc34.

In all cases this is as far as I get:

pi# pwd
/usr/ports/lang/gcc34
pi# make fetch
Making GCC 3.4.4 for FreeBSD 4.11 target=i386-portbld-freebsd4.11
=> gcc-core-3.4-20050311.tar.bz2 doesn't seem to exist in /usr/ports/distfiles/.

at the same time CPU usage raises considerably and 75-80% of
this corresponds to a process named random, which ps(1) shows
as /usr/games/random. As soon as I Ctrl-C and quit the
fetch, this process disappears and CPU usage return to
normal levels. This is the second reason I found this weird.

I'm completely intrigued by this. Anyone can reproduce it,
or better yet have an idea of what is going on?

This is on FreeBSD-4.11, i386

Thanks in advance,

Fernan