Date:      Wed, 30 Sep 1998 13:51:46 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   comment about verbose booting

I notice that booting messages are made very terse, which for regular
usage is normal and reasonable.  What bothers me is, when I specifically
ask for verbose booting (using the -v argument on booting) and I really
want the results, most often for later viewing via dmesg, there is
little if any difference in what comes out.

People are quite right to limit the verbosity of normal boot messages,
but I think that this is quite out of place, when a user specifically
asks for verbose booting.  I just wanted to make that point, and ask
that people realize that sometimes, folks _want_ the verbosity, and I
don't think the driver should stand in the way of that.  If you hate
verbose boot messages, don't ask for them, fine, but don't let that stop
printing of diagnostic data for those folks that _do_ want them.

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 and picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (NetBSD).