Date:      Sun, 19 Nov 1995 01:33:55 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Adding New Hard Drives: A Major Complaint

Hi...

	Either I'm missing something really simple, or its missing...

	...but this OS does not have a utility that will allow one
to add a new drive onto an existing system.

	I've looked at 'man -k disk', and about the only things I
find are 'fdisk' and 'disklabel'...neither of which helps in anyway.

	The handbook mentions sysinstall, which I've tried from the
boot floppy and from the command line, and in both cases, I can't
find any *simple* way of creating the partitions I want...

	The closest I've found is to go through a pseudo-install
process which really doesn't even come close to being a "safe" way
to do something...since, by a simple mistake, you could wipe out
your existing system...

	Oh well...that is my rant...am I missing something?  I know
under BSDi, there is the disksetup utility...and in the file
'diskspace.FAQ', it points to sysinstall as being able to do this,
but sysintall, whenever I start it up, shoves me into an installation
mode that I really don't want...

Thanks...

Marc G. Fournier | Knowledge, Information and Communications, Inc (ki.net)
scrappy@hub.org  |
 soon to be:     |
scrappy@ki.net   | For more information, send me email.