Date:      Mon, 4 Jul 2022 08:28:34 -0700
From:      bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net>
To:        Karl Denninger <karl@denninger.net>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 13.1R problems on Pi3

On Sun, Jul 03, 2022 at 10:36:35PM -0400, Karl Denninger wrote:

> This is crossbuilt but...
>
> $ uname -v
> FreeBSD 13.1-STABLE #0 stable/13-n250683-e44e611e31c: Fri May?? 6 10:47:17
> EDT 2022 karl@NewFS.denninger.net:/work/OBJ/ARM64-13/obj/work/CrossBuild-13.1STABLE/arm64.aarch64/sys/GENERIC
>
> $ uptime
> 10:27PM?? up 49 days,?? 7:10, 1 user, load averages: 0.14, 0.15, 0.13
>
> Ping both for Ipv4 and v6 (along with everything else) works fine.

That makes it unlikely the omission of DHCP services on my
machines accounts of lack of ping and ssh response.

Can any sense be made of the few ping responses obtained when ntp
is coming up? It's looks as if something happens after ntp runs
that blocks subsequent network traffic, but why starting an outbound
ping should partly unblock things is obscure to me.

To answer Mark's question about my network setup, I'm using an ISP
assigned network block of addresses, 50.1.20.31-50.1.20.24. All are
usable, there's no DHCP server. I assign one address to my router
for my LAN, the rest are taken by FreeBSD hosts. There are three
Pi2s running stable/12, one Pi2 running -current, (presently) two
Pi3s running stable/13 and one Pi4 running -current. So far only
the Pi3s are displaying network problems.

Network traffic enters my premises via DSL, connects to a switch
and thence to the router and hosts. A second switch chained off
the first provides connection to one Pi3 and the Pi4. The other
Pi3 is on the first switch. So, one Pi3 is on the first switch,
the other is on the second, both Pi3s are acting strange and
the Pi4 works fine. So, I don't think it's the second switch.

Thanks for writing!

bob prohaska