Date:      Mon, 20 Feb 1995 17:25:29 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        jhs@regent.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: newfs: sectors per cylinder (4096) disagrees with disk label (36)

> With system after a make world from current (of Fri 18th Feb),
> While doing a:
> 	cd /usr/src/etc
> 	make floppies
> it blew up with
> 	disklabel -w -r -B -b /usr/mdec/fdboot  -s /usr/mdec/bootfd fd0 fd1440
> 	newfs -b  4096 -c 80 -f 512 -i 8192 -m 0 -o space  rfd0 fd1440
> 	Warning: calculated sectors per cylinder (4096) disagrees with disk label (36)
> 	Block size and bytes per inode restrict cylinders per group to 6.
> I recompiled & installed sbin & disklabel, to no avail,
> The disklabel command confirms floppy is set to 36
> 	(I'm using a 1.4M flop, so OK)
> I'm using an old newfs binary for now.
> Perhaps I have an inconsistent mirror collection,
> or worse, maybe freebsd has bad newfs sources ?
> Anyone else see this problem ?

This is caused by phk's changes to the behavior of newfs, it now
uses 1 head/cylinder, 4096 sectors/track by default.  This was an
attempt to increase performace.  I have found that it does nothing
for any disks I use and just leads to problems while newfsing several
of them.

You can revert to the old behavior my adding -t 0 -u 0 to the newfs
commands, which causes newfs to use the head/cylinder and sectors/track
from the disklabel.