Date:      Mon, 7 Aug 1995 22:51:37 +0800 (WST)
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@haywire.DIALix.COM>
To:        Doug Rabson <dfr@render.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DOCUMENTATION PLEASE !!!!

On Mon, 7 Aug 1995, Doug Rabson wrote:
> On 7 Aug 1995, Peter Wemm wrote:
> > j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch) writes:

> > >I think the placeholder is good.  And i take it from Andrey's comments
> > >that he's at least already thinking about writing a real program for
> > >it. :-)
> >
> > >CVS moves are a pain in the butt, we should not make gratuitous moves.
> >
> > Especially so when it "exists" in one place for one release, but a
> > different place for another..  If you want the file to "appear" for
> > (say) RELENG_2_1_0 but not for the HEAD, then you have to duplicate
> > the file, and do some creative tag manipulations so that it exists in
> > both places, but only appears in one or the other.  Fun fun fun!
>
> Isn't cvs-1.5 supposed to cope with repository moves?

Nope..  It does have optional proper "rcs file death" support though -
I've been using it in standard mode with rcs-5.7 for a while..  I'm not
certain how it interacts with an older-style "Attic" implementation...
(I've never tried.. - it marks it's dead by 'ci'ing a rev with state
'dead' (vs.  "Exp", "Stab", etc))

Sorry.. the mythical 'file rename database' doesn't exist yet...

-Peter