Date:      Fri, 15 May 2015 11:58:38 -0300
From:      Luiz Otavio O Souza <lists.br@gmail.com>
To:        Tim Gustafson <tjg@tgustafson.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-arm@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 10.x on Raspberry Pi 2

On 15 May 2015 at 01:01, Tim Gustafson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I see there's a snapshot image for RPIB in the 10.x snapshot folder, and an
> RPI2 image in the 11.x snapshot folder.  I have 10.x running on my RPIB but
> can't seem to get the 11.x image to boot on the RPI2.  (It hangs on the
> rainbow screen.)  I know the 11.x branch is under heavy development still,
> so I was wondering what the prognosis is for building a 10.x image for the
> RPI2.  I'm finding a lot of conflicting information on Google and I suspect
> that's because the RPI2 is fairly new, so I was hoping someone here could
> give me the definitive answer for how to get 10.x on an RPI2.  If I do a
> build/install world on the RPIB with the most up-to-date 10.x source, will
> that give me a bootable installation that I could take the SD card out of
> the RPIB and drop it into the RPI2?  Or do I have to cross compile from an
> Intel machine and then use crochet?
>
> Thanks in advance for any pointers and help.

Please note that you have to use the correct image for each version of
RPi, you can't use the RPI-B image on RPi 2 neither the RPI2 image on
RPI-B.

This is the first report of the rainbow screen with official images
and as this means that something is wrong with the firmware or loader,
I suspect that you are using the wrong image on your RPi.

At this moment the RPi 2 support is only for 11, the 10.x support
shouldn't happen soon as it depends on the MFC of many changes from
different developers, which shouldn't happen before the 10.2 release.

HTH,
Luiz