Date:      Tue, 6 Jun 1995 17:08:53 +0300
From:      kallio@jyu.fi (Seppo Kallio)
To:        John Hay <jhay@mikom.csir.co.za>
Cc:        wraith@hollywood.cinenet.net, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Anon FTP --> How to?

At 14:28 6/6/95, John Hay wrote:

>> At 7:35 6/6/95, John Hay wrote:
>> >I don't think the standard ftpd can do things like that. You will need
>> >something like wu-ftpd which is a package. That is what most of the ftp
>> >sites use.
>>
>> Someone did alarm about wu-ftp. wu-ftpd is running as root and you can use
>> site -command to declare yourself as root user.
>>
>> Seppo
>>
>When you do a anonymous ftp to wu-ftp it does a chroot to your ftp directory
>and it changes the user to ftp. If there is a security hole before it does
>this maybe it is true, but otherwise it will be difficult. I did a "ps -aux"
>on the machine running wu-ftpd and it is running as user ftp. Maybe it was a
>previous version (before v2.4) that had such a problem?

If I remember the terminology correct: Then you login into wu-ftpd, the
"real" id is root, the "effective" uid is the one of the user's. If you
make program switch from effective uid to root uid you have a program
running as root.

Seppo

--
 +--    Seppo Kallio       -----             kallio@jyu.fi              ---+
 !    Computing Center       !   Fax +358-41-603611 Phone +358-41-603606   !