Date:      Sun, 8 Aug 1999 15:40:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bill Fumerola <billf@jade.chc-chimes.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/13030: Many ports use ``chown'' rather than ``/usr/sbin/chown'' in their Makefiles

The following reply was made to PR ports/13030; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Bill Fumerola <billf@jade.chc-chimes.com>
To: Anton Berezin <tobez@plab.ku.dk>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject: Re: ports/13030: Many ports use ``chown'' rather than ``/usr/sbin/chown''
 in their Makefiles
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 1999 17:40:01 -0400 (EDT)

 On Sun, 8 Aug 1999, Anton Berezin wrote:

 > Unfortunately, bsd.port.mk does not provide the CHOWN variable, like it
 > does with LN, CP etc.
 >
 > There are two ways to fix this.  The first is to introduce CHOWN into
 > bsd.port.mk, and change all ports which use chown, either as ``chown'',
 > or as ``/usr/sbin/chown'' (20+68=88 ports).
 >
 > The second way (I've put a patch here for this) is to change 68
 > ``chown'' ports to match their well-behaved ``/usr/sbin/chown'' friends.
 >
 > One more suggestion could be to add check for chown to portlint. :-)

 Note: After recently moving to zsh after excessive prodding by certain
 people on #FreeBSD, this has bitten me in the ass because zsh reads
 ~/.zprofile and not ~/.profile

 I'd like an ${CHOWN} that is set to /usr/sbin/chown and all the changes
 that would go with it.

 - bill fumerola - billf@chc-chimes.com - BF1560 - computer horizons corp -
 - ph:(800) 252-2421 - bfumerol@computerhorizons.com - billf@FreeBSD.org  -