Date:      Tue, 6 Oct 1998 20:01:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        "Laurence Morell, MIS Coordinator" <nchcvt@sover.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HP Netserver

On Tue, 6 Oct 1998, Laurence Morell, MIS Coordinator wrote:

>Our HR dept. has offered to donate an HP Netserver/66 LC for use as a
>central SMTP server for the corporation. We've been considering FreeBSD;
>however according to several FAQ items, there are some problems related
>to the built in SCSI adapter as well as with using a `dangerously'
>dedicated hard drive. Are these issues still viewed as problematic;
>should we graciously refuse the offer ?

The easiest first. There is NO PROBLEM with "dangerously dedicated" discs.
This is just a warning to the user that the drive is not going to be able
to have two operating systems.

Now, I am assuming that the onboard SCSI your are referring to is the AIC
7880 from Adaptec. A quick search through our email archives shows a
couple people using onboard 7880s with no trouble. You might wait for a
more authoritative reply, though.

Catchya Later,		|	UW Mechanical Engineering
Jason Wells		|	http://weber.u.washington.edu/~jcwells/