Date:      Sun, 11 Oct 1998 13:12:03 -0500
From:      "Babe (and family)" <da-babe@centuryinter.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   can ftp install be resumed?

  I was some where in the middle of an ftp install and my ISP dropped
me. Some of the system is in tack and I can boot to the freeBSD
partition but there are various messages about the root not being
mountable. Then I get some messeges regarding checking the file system
then it gives me the equivalant of the emergency holographic shell that
you get during the install.
  I had re-connected to my ISP when I noticed there was no downloading
going on but the original install did not resume and I couldn't figure
out how to get it to go again. Obviously I re-booted the system (or I
wouldn't be able to send this messege). As I said, the kernel is there
so I can boot to the system but I have no way of knowing what didn't
finish getting installed nor do I susspect the system will be properly
set up when I finish installing with sysinstall.
  My questions are these. Where, if anywhere, is the log of what
packages/distributions were installed so that I can see what still needs
to be gotten (from my preferred dists). I know I need the XFree86 and
more sorces (though I don't know which ones may have made it, I do know
I can't get to sys@ as the /usr/src directory is not very complete). The
other question is, if I do the sysinstall to get the rest of my dists,
will the system configure itself properly? It seems to be at least
partially ok now as things like 'man' and 'shutdown' are working (I take
this to mean that at least some of the paths and other system
configurations have been noted, though I could be wrong).
  At any rate, can I resume/fix the install without having to start from
scratch (since at least 4 hours of the install has happened) or at least
a way to continue an ongoing install if my ISP drops me again?
(presuming I havn't re-booted, ie. re-start ppp and kick the install
process back into gear)

Thank you for your time and any help you may have,

Ray (aka Savant, the dim whitted ;)