Date:      Wed, 22 Jun 2011 12:06:05 +0000
From:      Traiano Welcome <Traiano.Welcome@mtnbusiness.co.za>
To:        Robert Bonomi <bonomi@mail.r-bonomi.com>, "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: 'mount -u' stumper

=0A=
This seems pertinent:=0A=
=0A=
----=0A=
11.12.2 Soft Updates=0A=
=0A=
The tunefs(8) program can be used to fine-tune a file system. This program =
has many different options, but for now we are only concerned with toggling=
 Soft Updates on and off, which is done by:=0A=
=0A=
# tunefs -n enable /filesystem=0A=
# tunefs -n disable /filesystem=0A=
=0A=
---> A filesystem cannot be modified with tunefs(8) while it is mounted. A =
good time to enable Soft Updates is before any partitions have been mounted=
, in single-user mode.=0A=
---=0A=
=0A=
From:=0A=
=0A=
http://docs.freebsd.org/doc/7.2-RELEASE/usr/share/doc/handbook/configtuning=
-disk.html=0A=
=0A=
Looks like you're flat out of luck :-)=0A=
=0A=
Cheers,=0A=
Traiano=0A=
=0A=