Date:      Tue, 25 Apr 2000 15:44:05 -0400
From:      "M. Adam Davis" <adavis@ubasics.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Can't ping my newly installed 4.0 box

I came back from comdex and the Linux world in Chicago, all ready to set up
FreeBSD 4.0 and everything goes *very* smoothly!  Much better than when I
installed 3.x so long ago.

The only issue I have is that something in the network configuration must not
have been set up correctly.  I've been through both the FreeBSD handbook and The
Complete FreeBSD and neither are giving me any clues.

Upon bootup, ed0 is recognized (IRQ 10, Port 0x280) and there are not error
messages.

I can ping from the box to itself (ping -c 3 10.1.1.1) but cannot ping any other
machine on my network from the box, nor can I ping the box from another machine.

I don't know what I'm doing, but poking around makes me feel like ifconfig needs
to be looked at:

'ifconfig ed0' shows something about inet6 being attached to ed0, but no inet.
after 'ifconfig ed0 inet 10.1.1.1' I still cannot ping anywhere.

The last time I had this problem it was because the kernel was not configured
properly by the install, I changed the GENERIC and recompiled and it worked very
well.  This time it looks like the kernel is fine, but I'm missing something
else.

The card I'm using is a Linksys 10baseT (NE2000 compatible) ISA nic which I have
configured for irq 10 port 0x280.  The hub shows it is connected, and the card
shows activity when there is network traffic...

I really appreciate all the work everyone has put into FreeBSD!  It is
spectacular.  This is my second try at it (the first time I couldn't get X
going, and didn't have the time to pursue it, so I used the system for something
else)

-Adam