Date:      Sun, 15 Jan 2012 19:36:16 +0100
From:      =?iso-8859-1?Q?Eirik_=D8verby?= <ltning@anduin.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Random 'Connection reset' issues between jails on same host

On Jan 15, 2012, at 18:44, Eirik =D8verby wrote:

> Hi all,
>=20
> We're trying to implement our puppet infrastructure, and have =
discovered something strange about TCP connections between jails on the =
same host. As our jails haven't generally been doing a lot of =
connections between each other, this issue hasn't popped up before.=20
>=20
> We have two 100% equal host systems, on FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE-p4. These =
are 8-core Intel systems, with 16GB RAM each. I have just upgraded one =
of the two systems to 9.0-RELEASE, and it shows the same problem.
>=20
> When the puppetmaster jail is running on the same host as the jail =
running puppet agent, connections from the puppet agent randomly fails =
with 'Connection reset by peer'. This happens at random stages of =
configuration sync. Now if either of the jails are moved to another =
system (jail stop, zfs snaphot, zfs send/recv, jail start) on the same =
physical network, there are no such problems. It is not a hardware =
issue, as this happens no matter which of the two hosts we use. If both =
puppetmaster and puppet agent reside on the same physical box, the =
errors will show up.

Replying to myself here:

Assignig a cpuset with a single CPU to the jail with puppetmaster seems =
to cure the symptom. I've made a few thousand connects now and no =
failures so far. Repeatable on 8 and 9. This is obviously only a =
workaround - but may give some hints as to where the problem is.

/Eirik