Date:      Sun, 13 Jul 1997 08:54:19 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Alan Lundin <aflundi@lundin.abq.nm.us>
To:        Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Heads up and and a call for a show of hands.

On Jul 13,  4:45am, Richard Wackerbarth wrote:
> Subject: Re: Heads up and and a call for a show of hands.
>
> Alan Lundin <aflundi@lundin.abq.nm.us> replied:
> >On Jul 11, 11:43am, "Richard Wackerbarth" wrote:
> [...]
> >> Why not get both effects. Have two config files, for example,
> >> /etc/ld.so.conf and /usr/local/etc/ld.so.conf.
> [...]
> >Why not just source ld.so.conf if it exists then you
> >can have either behavior depending on what is in ld.so.conf:
> [...]
> >and ld.so.conf can contain something like
> >
> >  ${_LDC}="${_LDC} /my/new/lib/dir"
> >
> >for append behavior or
> >
> >  ${_LDC}="/usr/X11R6/lib /my/new/lib/dir /usr/local/lib"
> >
> >for override behavior.
>
> I don't think that your format gives them the flexability
> that they wished to make it easy to have things automatically
> install and deinstall. For the "manually edited" situation,
> I would agree that it is a bit cleaner. However, it was by
> inpression that they wanted to make it easy to automate
> changes when packages come and go.

Perhaps not, but I don't see why not.  If you want to
add a new library, your install script does

  echo '${_LDC}="${_LDC} /my/new/lib/dir"'  >> /usr/local/etc/ld.so.conf

or some variation.  If every addition had the form of
one of the above lines, you could quite easily parse
out the parts.

On the other hand, I'm by no means going to champion
this idea, since I think using /usr/local/etc/rc.d/*.sh
and ldconfig -m is just as good (and much better in many
ways), and we already have that.

--alan