Date:      Thu, 25 Jan 2001 21:04:27 -0500 (EST)
From:      Colin <cwass99@home.com>
To:        "David W. Chapman Jr." <dwcjr@inethouston.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, Luc Morin <luc_m@videotron.ca>
Subject:   Re: Network stops working

     The DHCP server has to keep a record of the lease or there will be all
kinds of interesting problems.  The server will see the mac address of the
client in the DHCP-DISCOVER, and if it has a record of a valid, non-expired
lease, it will send that information to the requesting client.
    I haven't done a lot of (ok, any :)) work with the BSD DHCP client, but
there should be a command parameter or signal or something that says "please
tell the server to expire my existing address"  (on your Win box, AFAIR it's
ipconfig -release) and from there you should be able to get a valid address.
Your only other options are leaving the BSD box off the network for the
duration of it's lease (could be a week or more) or calling the ISP and saying
"Please kill the entry for my machine, IP 24.200.211.9, from the DHCP servers
.cur file" which they will probably be more than a little hesitant to do.  I'm
guessing the ISP has recently renumbered the network (I know my cable-modem
based provider has been doing that a lot recently) and the Win box was not
connected before it's lease expired.
     This all assumes that the Win box and BSD box are in fact seperate, not a
dual boot system.  If it is a dual boot system, the ISP's DHCP server has
issues, as it should not issue 2 seperate addresses for the same mac address.

Cheers,
Colin Wass