Date:      Thu, 14 Nov 1996 00:18:06 -0600 (CST)
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD-hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   RE: CPU heatsinks

On 04:11:38 Chuck Robey wrote:
>>I was messing around with my new motherboard, getting it into the new
>case, and one of the two heatsinks popped off.  Understand it's a dual
>Pentium Pro system, with heat sinks definitely larger than the old
>Pentiums.  I noticed on taking a very, very careful closer look, that the
>heatsinks had been installed sans the usual white silicone heatsink
>compound, which I have on hand (having used on previous systems).  Is
>there some reason on the PPro that the silicone hadn't been applied, or
>should I neatly smear some on?

Was it "bare metal to ceramic" or by any chance was there a gasket
in between? There are thin silicon gaskets that have similar
conductive properties as the grease and are much cleaner.

I've seen a lot of other places these days where the thermal
grease and/or gasket was not used, am guessing they decided the
heatsink was "good enough". So I grease 'em because I can't
stand knowing its not as good as it could be.

Be sure to use a real thin coat. Only a little more than the thinest
you can do. Apply a thin coat, put the heatsink in place, then remove
it and observe the contact. If you made a nice perfect contact between
both surfaces the first time you probably used too much.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@tomcat1.tbe.com (wk), dkelly@hiwaay.net (hm)