Date:      Mon, 1 Jul 1996 08:39:54 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, pechter@shell.monmouth.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: no subject (file transmission)

> As Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
>
> > > 2.  Declare the BSD method (the REAL original crontab) the winner.
> >
> > I think this is probably our best bet.
>
> Objection.  I voted against /etc/crontab back in the old days, and i'm
> still against it (and always kill it as soon as i've installed a
> system).

I tend to see it as a mistake too...  new sysadmins do a "crontab -e" as
root and get.. nothing.  :-(

I see a benefit to having a method that allows the sysadmin to specify cron
entries for users that (1) the user cannot change and (2) are centrally
administered.

> There's only a few things where i'm stating SysV to have the better
> approach, but per-user crontabs certainly belong into this category.
>
> Remember, the original BSD crontab was even more braindead in that it
> didn't allow crontab entries for users other than root, and the
> current /etc/crontab would make a mess for crontab(1) to allow for
> per-user cron commands, while the existing approach with one file per
> user is there && has proven to work.  On the opposite, i don't see
> anything /etc/crontab would gain us that /var/cron/tabs/ doesn't
> already give us as well.  (Not counting nostalgic feelings. :)

Cron entries "forced" upon a user.

> Despite of this, i consider a world-readable /etc/crontab a BIG
> security hole.  Read "The Cuckoo's egg" for why intruders do like to
> know when exactly system maintenance jobs are about to run...

Yes, /etc/crontab and /var/cron/log* need to be protected..  :-)  even so
one can often dig appropriate hints out of /var/log/maillog...

I would be happier with /etc/crontab if the crontab command at least noted
that there were entries for this user in /etc/crontab (perhaps adding them
as comments).  That has its own problems.

I would be happiest if we left /etc/crontab for the experienced admins but
put the current contents in /var/cron/tabs/root...  that also happens to be
the least intrusive option, and also more secure since /etc/crontabs is
readable..

... Joe

Solaria Public Access UNIX - Milwaukee, WI			   414/546-7968