Date:      Fri, 23 Apr 1999 10:08:34 -0300 (GMT)
From:      Fernando Schapachnik <fpscha@ns1.sminter.com.ar>
To:        Clem.Dye@wdr.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Partition sizes on 3.1

En un mensaje anterior, Clem.Dye@wdr.com escribió:
> I've got to go through this exercise myself soon, when I build my box
> - when I get the time - sigh, so I'm interested in how other people
> have laid-out their drives. In my case I have 3.2GB to play with. I
> plan to allow ~150MB for a swap partition (I have 72MB ram), 100MB
> for /, but beyond that I'm open to ideas. I'm not sure if having
> /usr/local on a separate partition actually buys you much (but will

This allows you to reinstall the OS without loosing your applications or
its .conf files.

> stand to be corrected). What about a separate slice for swap - worth
> doing?

Yes of course. Also don't forget to put /home and /tmp on separate
partitions, so 1) fulling /tmp doesn't affect /. 2) You can mount them
noexec to add security and prevent things like hard links to /etc/passwd
and similar.

Regards.

Fernando P. Schapachnik
Administración de la red