Date:      Wed, 12 Nov 1997 18:41:02 -0500
From:      ringlord@bbs.dcoisp.net
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   the ln command confusion.

Hello all.
I have just tried to complete a task to which I am a bit new to.  I am
running the RealAudio server version 5.0 on my freebsd 2.2.5-release
box.
In the configuration file, the basepath for content for the realserver
is /usr/local/pnserver/content.  I have a user with a home directory of
/home/twc-online with subdirectories of /realaudio and /realvideo.  I
figured that creating a symbolic link from /usr/local/pnserver/content
to /home/twc-online would be the most apropros thing to do in this
instance.
that way, if someone wanted to retrieve a realvideo file off the server,
all the twc-online user would have to do would be to upload the file in
either the realaudio or realvideo directory, and it would also be in
/usr/local/pnserver/content/realaudio or /usr/local/pnserver/content/realvideo.
Then, supposing someone wanted to retrieve a realvideo from the server
called, video.rm, they would need only type:
pnm://twcmedia.dcoisp.net/realvideo/video.rm and the file should begin
to play.
Well, this is not the case.
I receive an "error 14, file not found!"  I am able to logon to the
twcmedia.dcoisp.net server and cd to the /usr/local/pnserver/content
directory.
Sure enough, the realaudio and realvideo directories are there, along
with some files in each subdirectory.
When I do an ls -l from within /usr/local/pnserver the content directory
shows as L rather than D.  My understanding is that L stands for link,
and it should in fact be that.
Am I correct, or am I missing something?
>From reading the man ln page, this was the understanding I got out of
it.
Thanks for any insight. I am in a bit of a pinch. :)
Jeremy