Date:      Mon, 10 Aug 2015 15:23:03 -0600
From:      Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.net>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 10.2 and embedded ARM boards?

On Mon, 2015-08-10 at 14:37 -0600, Brett Glass wrote:
> Everyone:
>
> What is the status of support for embedded ARM boards in FreeBSD 10.2?
> I am interested in experimenting with hardware such as the BeagleBone,
> Raspberry Pi, and CuBox, but would like to enjoy the stability of a
> release version of the operating system rather than -CURRENT. Is that
> possible at this point?
>
> --Brett Glass

It should be good (unlike 10.1 which was pretty much a non-starter on
arm).  All the significant work from 11-current, up to the ARM_NEW_PMAP
changes, got merged to 10-stable in plenty of time to make the 10.2
release.  A few more recent changes and bugfixes have also been merged.

As an FYI for planning purposes, it's becoming increasingly difficult to
merge new arm-related code from -current to 10-stable.  The new arm pmap
code will probably never get merged to 10 (I spent a couple days on it
and just couldn't resolve all the conflicts).  It will probably be
possible to merge important fixes, depending on how complex they are.
In general, arm on the 10 branch will probably receive less love in the
future than it has in the past because merging changes is becoming more
difficult as time goes by.

-- Ian