Date:      Fri, 1 Jun 2012 11:58:00 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl>
To:        Beni Brinckman <beni.brinckman@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vpn speed loss

> vpn connexion.
> I have tried Openvpn and mpd5 (with a pptp and l2pt connexion) and the
> max speed (according to various speedtests) is 5 to 6MB.

5-6MB = megabytes per second? megabytes per hour? per year?
be more precise.

> Without the vpn I'm having 45-50 MB... My vpn service has servers in

do not expect high performance with VPN and ESPECIALLY on this protocols.

no idea really how openvpn works, but if you can choose between TCP based
and UDP based VPN then try both.

UDP is better in protocol point of view but it may be bad for OS overhead.

TCP is better with OS overhead but may result in retransmit mess when
there are packet loss (both native traffic is retransmitted and then
virtual traffic)