Date:      Fri, 22 Dec 2006 17:09:40 +0100
From:      <Helge.Oldach@atosorigin.com>
To:        <petefrench@ticketswitch.com>, <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, <lofi@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Possibility for FreeBSD 4.11 Extended Support

Pete French <> wrote on Friday, December 22, 2006 2:44 PM:
>> Because everybody knows that odd numbered releases aren't stable.
>=20
> I've been 20 years in electronics & comouting and thats the first
> time I have ever heard anyone say that! Steer clear of '.0' releases
> is well known, but suspecting something just because of the odd or
> evenness of it's numbering scheme seems like pure superstition.

The odd/even rule is just over-generalization, derived from the Linux =
kernel numbering scheme.

Personally, I've been upgrading lots of servers from 4-STABLE to =
5-STABLE to 6-STABLE without trouble. Yes, it is some amount of work =
(particularly if you want UFS2 benefits and thus have to newfs all =
filesystemes), but it is absolutely doable and certainly not a killer =
job.

Of course upgrading hundreds, even thousands of remote servers is a =
different task. But then you want professional support anyway...

Frankly, I can't follow the argument that 6.x is "unstable". After all, =
it's named 6-STABLE for a reason. I'd say from experience that the =
reason is perfectly valid. Actually I have two older servers that got =
"just stuck" every few weeks with 4-STABLE and 5-STABLE and called for a =
hard reboot -- these two have been rock solid ever since they were =
upgraded to 6-STABLE.

Greets,
Helge