Date:      Wed, 26 Jul 2000 20:05:02 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu, "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@nwlink.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Language for Modeling Mechanical System

At 12:44 AM 7/26/2000, Crist J. Clark wrote:

>> I figure there just has to be something out there that does mathematical
>> modeling. I just haven't found it yet.
>
>It's what FORTRAN (FORmula TRANslation) was made for.

No; despite the name, FORTRAN is very much a general-purpose computing
language. It has only one possible advantage in a mathematical
modeling setting: because of its long use in scientific and engineering
work, FORTRAN compilers traditionally perform extensive optmization on
floating point calculations. The strength reduction, expression
rearrangement, loop unrolling, and parallelization facilities in a
good FORTRAN compiler are second to none. However, with today's fast
PCs, these optimizations aren't necessary unless you're doing VERY
complex modeling -- stuff like fluid dynamics. And since FORTRAN is
rather primitive, you'll spend a lot more time coding than you would
if you had a better tool for this particular task.

One package you might consider is Mathematica. It has wonderful
facilities for integration, differentiation, graphics, and more.
It's what I'd reach for first -- partially because I know it,
but mostly because it makes sophisticated tasks easy and fun.

--Brett