Date:      28 Sep 2001 12:49:09 -0700
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 127/8 continued

David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org> writes:

> The math doesn't favor your chosen approach.

I guess I'm not expressing myself well enough; I knew everything you
said (but thanks anyway -- really) and my chosen approach is working
(well enough, at least).  But it wasn't easy to do or to learn to do.

That "math" is imposed by the design of the FreeBSD (and probably most
every other OS) networking software, and is not imposed by Internet
standards, because the Internet standards need only cover the data
flowing through my DSL router's internal port. (Actually, even further
upstream than that if my ISP was accommodating.)

All (?) I'm saying is that handing out small blocks of IPs for a small
number of computers is a common situation and I doubt that many care
whether their local networks are Internet standards compliant as long
as they can look like they are to the Internet (which I know they could
with modified software).  The software should be doing the kludging,
not the small-time SAs.  (Easier said than done, of course; but not
very I suppose, and not compared with all the SA effort devoted it.)

Thanks again for trying to set me straight.