Date:      Tue, 17 Apr 2001 12:25:41 -0400
From:      Graywane <graywane@home.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: does upsd support BACK-UPS from APC

On Tue, Apr 17, 2001 at 09:01:30AM -0700, Hervey Wilson wrote:
> From: "Lee, Jaeho" <Jaeho.Lee@brooks.com>
> > The description of upsd in ports collection says that it supports
> > Smart-UPS.
> > I bought BACK-UPS (the cheapest model in APC products) today. Is it
> > supported by upsd?
>
> Not sure about upsd, but the 'nut' package works nicely for me, check it
> out.

upsd does support the BACK-UPS series although I've had odd things happen
with it from time to time. On one machine it was setup to wait 90 seconds,
warn the users, wait 90 more seconds and then shutdown the machine. However,
a 1 second brownout caused the UPSs to go to battery and upsd shutdown the
machine instantly (which was more than a little annoying).

You can download the Simple Signaling Daemon (ssd) from APC's web page. It
is for linux but compiles with minor modifications on FreeBSD and works like
a charm.

--
Note: See http://www.members.home.net/graywane/ for PGP information.