Date:      24 Apr 2002 23:59:36 +1000
From:      Mark Sergeant <msergeant@looksmart.net>
To:        bv@wjv.com
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HTTP Load Balancing and Availability Solutions

99.999 is less than an hours down time per year which running off one
web server is easily achievable, even with monitoring, replacement
hardware etc on hand it will still take a while @ 3am when something
goes wrong for a person to be paged, getup, ascertain problem, pull in
redundant hardware to do the web serving etc. This also doesn't take
into account a monthly patch schedule for whichever OS running whichever
software. Other things to take into account are network outages,
mis-configurations / patches going wrong etc. When running a production
environment with aggressive uptime requirements and also having things
rolled out and changed on a daily basis the only true way to achieve the
required uptime is via hardware load balancing and redundant links /
redundant hardware. I run a web hosting company which guarantees 95%
uptime to its clients for normal everyday web hosting which is plenty
for most companies and enables me to take machines down every month for
patches, upgrades and also covers for the other unfortunate times as I
don't have access to the noc 24/7 without paying ridiculous call out
fees. I also in my day job manage 3 web farms on 2 continents providing
a 99.999% uptime guarantee and the only thing that lets me sleep at
night is the fact hardware load balancing and redundant machines / load
balancers are in place.

Just my 0.02 cents :)

On Wed, 2002-04-24 at 23:21, Bill Vermillion wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 24, 2002 at 22:48 , while impersonating an expert on=20
> the internet, Mark Sergeant sent this to stdout:
>=20
> > Depending on the nature of the project and the availability
> > required I would only recommend a software based solution for a
> > project that didn't have a requirement of more than 95% uptime,
>=20
> 95% UPTIME.  That is only 51 out of 52 weeks/year.  Even 99.999%
> is 8 hours down time per year.  Five 9' is usually achievable with
> just good hw/sw design.  My web server - though not heavily
> stressed is a 498 days 16:44 as I type this.
>=20
> > My recommendation would be should it absolutely have to be done with
> > software then go with the mod_proxy and a 1 hour ttl for your www
> > address (anything less than an hour is usually ignored), this way a
> > replacement box can take over the proxying server inside of an hour
> > should there be any issues.
>=20
> Would it not make sense to monitor the target machine and if/when
> it fails then just re-write the IP on the standby machine to
> achieve a fail-over scenario.
>=20
> Bill
> --=20
> Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com
>=20
>=20
--=20
Mark Sergeant
Senior Unix Systems Administrator
=20
L=F4=F4kSmart International Pty. Ltd.
Level 5/388 Lonsdale Street
Melbourne, VIC, 3000
Australia=20
P. (03) 9648 2201=20
F. (03) 9648 2244=20
http://www.looksmart.com.au

The referring document contains privileged and confidential information.
If
you are not the intended recipient you must not copy, distribute or take
action with regards to the content, we request that you notify LookSmart
International Pty. Ltd. immediately and remove all traces of this
document.=20
except where they are specifically stated to be the views of LookSmart=20
International Pty. Ltd.