Date:      Thu, 7 Sep 2000 18:07:27 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@freebsd.org>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org, Andrew Boothman <andrew@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Subject:   Re: Ports Documentation Index - the next installment

On Wed, Sep 06, 2000 at 10:13:27AM +0100, Nik Clayton wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 06, 2000 at 12:25:40AM +0100, Mark Ovens wrote:
> > I've been doing some work on the perl(1) scripts that Andrew Boothman
> > started sometime ago that create /var/db/pkg/${PORTNAME}/+DOCS for
> > each installed port and then build an HTML file containing links to
> > all the installed docs.
>
> Great.  Looks nice

Thanks

> > (there's a "but" coming, you can tell. . .)

Isn't there always?

> >     4. The filename is displayed instead of "Title Unknown" for
> >        non-HTML files (although HTML files that have no
> >        <title></title> tag are still listed as "Title Unknown").
>
> Try using the content of the first <h?> element, and falling back to the
> filename as a last resort.

Good idea, I'll do it.

> For ports with documentation split over multiple files it links to all of
> them, instead of just the index file.  That's going to be a problem with
> any automated solution --

Yes, I'd already spotted that, but can't think of an easy solution.

> as and when porters start writing +DOCS files
> themselves that should be less of a problem.

should that not be "*if* and when"? ISTR that when Andrew first wrote
this we got a rather cool response from the porters

> There's another angle I think that's worth investigating.  At the O'Reilly
> docs summit a couple of months back, representatives from the GNOME, KDE,
> and Linux documentation projects were all looking at the similar problem
> of getting apps to register their documentation, and also to try and
> provide an interface over and above simple HTML.
>
> >From memory, the two best people to liase with about this are Guyhelm
> Aznar <guyhelm@metalab.unc.edu> and Eric Bischoff <ebisch@cybercable.tm.fr>.

I'll fire off an e-mail and let you know the outcome.

--
		4.4 - The number of the Beastie