Date:      Wed, 13 Aug 1997 23:11:38 +0100
From:      Ken McKittrick <agent47@baldcom.net>
To:        Shawn Ramsey <shawn@luke.cpl.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   mount -o asynch = better performance ???????

>> >But, my main question -> I think FreeBSD is that slow because it writes
>> >everything to disk directly, without a good cache. Why is this like it is?
>> >This does not make FreeBSD very attractive for me to use as a fileserver
>> >(nfs or samba) or e.g. a mail server.
>
>Do be fair, I think you should mount the FreeBSd disks asyncronously. By
>default, it is set to Synchronously. Linux, at least it used to be this
>way, is mounted asynch. Disk access is HUGELY increases under FreeBSD if
>it is set to asynch. (mount -o async /dev/filesystem)

The man pages on mount state the using an asynch mount is

quote:
	async   All I/O to the file system should be done asynchronously.
                     This is a dangerous flag to set, and should not be used
                     unless you are prepared to recreate the file system
                     should your system crash.

How reliable is a file system if it's mounted asynch really????

Thanks
Ken

Ken McKittrick                      Unix SysAdmin, R & D guy
agent47@baldcom.net                   http://www.baldcom.net
http://zone.baldcom.net                       (315) 698-3400
"Virtute non Verbis" (Deeds not Words) 1/108th Mech Infantry