Date:      Sat, 20 Feb 1999 00:23:51 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        "Richard Seaman, Jr." <dick@tar.com>
Cc:        Geoff Rehmet <geoffr@is.co.za>, "'hackers@freebsd.org'" <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Star Office 5 woes

"Richard Seaman, Jr." wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 18, 1999 at 05:14:08PM +0200, Geoff Rehmet wrote:
> > I've managed to get (what appears to be) a successful Star Office 5
> > installation by following the transcript on lt.tar.com.
> > However, when I try to register it, I run into the problem that
> > I get a BASIC runtime error in the registration "wizard".
> > I believe a number of other ppl have run into this same problem.
> > Does anyone know how to resolve this?
>
> 1) Make sure you have your Office50/bin directory in your PATH environment.
> That seemed to fix it for me.

I've tried that, and all permutations of it (beginning, middle and end of
path).  Not the slightest difference.

> 2) Others have reported that reinstalling seems to work

No difference.  I tried zapping the ~/.user.rdb file that it uses in
between reinstalling as well, just in case.  No joy there either.

> 3) Others have reported that executing the "fix install" or whatever
> the command is called, has helped.

I hadn't tried this before..  (Office50/bin/setup; select "repair
installation"), no joy their either.

> 4) I think there are people who have not been able to solve this
> problem.

I don't know anybody who's been able to get it to work, except for you. :-)

I was toying with the idea of using the fax/email method of registering
and typing in the codes, but I decided to have a look around first.  I
tried the example scripts, and a good number of them also had the same
sort of runtime errors.

About the only thing left I can think of is hardware/memory/cpu
differences.  I upgraded my motherboard (doubled ram to 128MB) and a 50%
faster cpu (still a cyrix though. :-(..) and replaced the drives with a
much faster set and still didn't get any joy.

What I'm curious to know is, does it consistantly work for you when you
reinstall it and reregister it?

Cheers,
-Peter