Date:      Tue, 20 Aug 2002 00:31:30 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom Kersten <tomkersten98@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   easy mount question....i hope

Hello,

Is it possible to dynamically changed mount points
(upon login, or mount request possibly)?

If so, is this a bad practice?

Is there a better way to solve the following problem?

The reason I ask is that I am trying to make it
possible for any user on my system to create a floppy
(or cdrom) icon on their KDE desktop by right-clicking
and going to "create new->floppy device" and be able
to access that device. I currently have it set up
where a user can type the mount_msdos (or cd9660)
command in the CLI, but would like it to be GUI-based,
as some are not very familiar with UNIX. I have
scoured the lists and sites, but have had no
FreeBSD-specific answers. I have read the handbook and
have done the vfs.usermount=1 command, which helpted,
but does not solve the GUI-based question, as it only
allows them to use the CLI method of mounting a
filesysytem. It appears that in Linux you can add
"users" to the filesystem's entry in the /etc/fstab
entry, but...this is not an option in BSD...to my
knowledge.

My assessment of the situation is that the user must
"own" the mountpoint folder. The entry in my
/etc/fstab file points fd0c (and acd0c) to /mnt/floppy
* /mnt/cdrom, but I am unable to mount to these
directories unless I do so as root or I change the
ownership of the folder to the user attempting to
mount to that point. I am able to mount to any folder
the person owns and mount either filesystem type, but
am trying to figure out a way to make it as easy as
possible for GUI-only users to take full advantage of
all devices on the system. Any ideas or help on this
topic is greatly appreciated. Also, please reply to
this email directly, as I am not currently a member of
the mailing list....

Thank you in advance,

Thomas Kersten
tomkersten98@yahoo.com