Date:      Tue, 22 Jul 2008 23:14:28 -0400
From:      Steve Bertrand <steve@ibctech.ca>
To:        Paul Schmehl <pschmehl_lists_nada@tx.rr.com>
Cc:        User Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: connecting to a secured Windows 2003 terminal server

Paul Schmehl wrote:

> Umm..no.  In Windows-land, Terminal Services == rdp (port 3389 TCP) but
> a terminal *server* is used specifically to allow mutliple (as in more
> than the default limit of two) concurrent sessions and requires the
> purchase of additional licenses.  Now, *maybe* the OP really meant
> terminal *services* but he wrote "secured Windows 2003 terminal
> *server*", and that is a different animal altogether.

Ok, fair enough. I was hasty in reading the OP's original post.

>> Failing that, see if there is a 'feature' to drop back to non-SSL mode
>> for RDP for the time being, to at least get the FBSD boxen to 'see' the
>> service. Troubleshooting can commence from there.
>>
> If you like sending your credentials across the internet in clear text,
> be my guest.  I wouldn't suggest to the OP that he ask his enterprise to
> expose themselves to that level of risk.

I'll rephrase... if there is the possibility to adding a temporary,
non-privileged user to the enterprise network that you are currently
testing that only has specific rights to authenticate via Terminal
Server and no rights otherwise whatsoever, then I would try that.

Commencing the test, I would immediately remove the user account.

Otherwise, I would configure a separate Windows 2k3 box, exactly the
same as the one that was upgraded, and test the scenario in a closed,
less-sensitive environment.

The logs should provide guidance to the cause of the problem. I'm more
familiar with FreeBSD, so I would start there. However, perhaps the
Windows logging system has something to offer.

I would still try nmap and telnet, and the other tests.

Especially given the fact that OP never specified that he would be
sending credentials over a public network at all.

Besides... in the original post, it was clarified that the old server
did NOT have any encryption whatsoever.

Steve